MDS 3.0 REFRESHER
This 1-Day MDS 3.0 Related Course Provides an Update of the Final RAI Manual Version 1.18.11 Effective October 01, 2023:
In-depth review of new MDS coding rules for Sections A, B, C, D, F, GG, H, I, J, K, M, N, O, Q, X and other substantial RAI changes.
This is not just a summary of revisions.
(For California & other non-case mix states.)
September 18, 2023 (8am-3:30pm PACIFIC TIME Live Stream): (Registration Closed)
September 29, 2023 (8am-3:30pm PACIFIC TIME In-Person): (Registration Closed)
Sep.18, 2023- Live Online: Anywhere you are located with internet access.
Sep. 29, 2023- Burbank, California: Marriott Residence Inn Los Angeles, Burbank/Downtown, 321 Ikea Way, Burbank, California 91502.
RAI Manual Version 1.18.11 (printed Chapters 1-6 and other materials), Flash Drive (digital copies of manuals & forms), CE Contact Hours for CA LVNs and RNs plus-
REGISTER ONLINE (CREDIT CARD PAYMENT): CLICK HERE
This is not a full MDS 3.0 Training. This is not a PDPM Training.
Consider the full MDS 3.0 training if you are not aware of the MDS manual version 1.17.1 or changes as of October 2019.
COURSE REGISTRATION (CHOOSE ONE):
REQUIRED MDS EXPERIENCE:
Some knowledge of or experience with the current Resident Assessment Instrument Minimum Data Set version 1.17.1 until 2022 updates.
REQUIREMENT FOR LIVE STREAM EVENT:
Dependable internet connection
Working device with working screen and working speaker: Desktop, laptop, tablet or Smartphone
A link to enter the online event.
REQUIREMENT FOR IN-PERSON EVENT:
Bring picture ID & a smile to sign-in before class begins.
Any member of the MDS-involved team with some knowledge of or experience with the current MDS version from a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Facility, Long Term Care Facility and Swing Bed Facility staff: MDS Coordinator, MDS Nurse, MDS Assistant, Registered Nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses, Nurse Assessment Coordinators, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Social Workers, Dietitians, Administrators, Directors of Nursing, Health Information Professionals and any members of the Interdisciplinary Team involved in assessment and care planning. MDS consultants, Dept. of Health Evaluators, MDS auditors, MDS specialists, MDS experts are also welcome.
The purpose of the MDS 3.0 Refresher course is to update the clinician's knowledge of the clinical assessments used in the accurate completion of the MDS assessments by providing the latest revisions of regulations released by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services surrounding the RAI/MDS process.
This MDS Refresher covers the final substantial changes in the RAI manual version 1.18.11 effective October 01, 2023 such as the Social Determinants of Health and New Data Elements in Section A with the rest of the 14 other MDS sections and RAI chapters affecting MDS coding relevant to California and other non-case mix states.
Upon completion of the course, the attendee will be able to:
1. Identify the MDS (Minimum Data Set) sections updated in the latest RAI version effective October 01, 2023.
2. Identify the Social Determinants of Health (SDOH) data elements in Section A.
3. State the change in data collection of the Resident Mood Interview.
4. Identify the new Section GG Self Care and Mobility items needed for the different types of MDS assessments.
5. State the new items listed as Special Treatments, Procedures and Programs in Section O0100.
6. State the updated regulation affecting the Part A PPS Discharge Assessment completion.
7. Identify items clarified in the list of the PDPM skilled conditions that can affect Medicare eligibility and reimbursement.
1) No videotaping allowed.
2) It is the attendee’s responsibility to notify the instructor in advance of a need for accommodation of a disability.
3) Disruptive and inappropriate behavior comments or actions towards another attendee or instructor are not permitted while course is in session. Be polite and respectful toward others.
Anyone not in accordance to the class policy will not be allowed to enter or continue the course as we strive to provide the best possible training accommodations. The attendee will automatically be banned.
Due to the ever changing health guidelines & community restrictions, course materials may not be produced by our local vendors on time. Manuals and other training materials are usually mailed starting approximately 2-3 weeks before the live stream event.
LIVE STREAM EVENT:
1. The printed RAI manual* (and other printed training materials, if applicable) will be mailed via Priority Mail or similar alternate delivery service. A tracking number will be emailed once available and can be tracked in www.usps.com (or an alternate mailing service). MDS/RAI Advisor is not responsible for a package replacement if the USPS (or alternate mailing service) returns that package to us after the exact address used on the package was the same address provided during registration (i.e., the mailing address provided is incorrect, valid or not) or if the recipient is not available to sign for the package upon delivery causing the package to be returned to MDS/RAI Advisor.
2. Digital copies of the training materials will be sent by mail in a flash drive or by email before the training session:
If by mail: The flash drive is provided for the attendee's own use, at the attendee's own leisure. Therefore, attendees are instructed to check the flash drive to make sure it works upon receipt. Replacement of the files will be made available only if supply is still available before the training event. We do not send replacements of the flash drives as it can easily get corrupted, i.e., if ejected the wrong way. Some facilities restrict computer use of certain websites or other computer hardware to prevent inappropriate online use or to prevent malware; therefore, you should know that the flash drive may not work with your work computers. (At this point, you need to think of other alternatives.)
If by email: This option is available only if there is no flash drive in stock or if the flash drive received by the attendee did not have files or the attendee was unable to open the files after arrival in the mail and after being checked using different devices. The attendee's email provided during registration will be sent the digital copies that would have been in the flash drive. This option is not available during and after the training event because the attendee would have and should have checked the flash drive beforehand as instructed.
3. Slides will be emailed as a pdf file during the week of the event. It is up to the attendee to print their own copy the way they want their slides printed.
The RAI manual and flash drive will be provided at the event location. The slides will be emailed as pdf file during the week of the event.
Do not forget to bring the materials emailed to you if you have printed them.
If using a device during the in-person sessions, it is your responsibility to download and test any file (such as the slides pdf file or the RAI manual digital file) on your device (ie, ipad, iphone, laptop) before coming to the training event. We cannot assist you with opening your files during the training.
Bring your own charger. Charging ports will be made available in the training room.
Training materials will not be available as digital format during the in-person event.
* The printed RAI manual may not include all of the appendices to lessen paper waste and keep the course fee as low as possible. The digital copy of the RAI manual includes the appendices which is provided to the attendee (in the flash drive or emailed).
COURSE EVALUATIONS & EXAMINATION:
An invitation to take the test in an online testing site hosting MDS/RAI Advisor's courses & examinations will be provided the week of the event.
The online course evaluation and examination will need to be completed (passed within 3 attempts) by 11:59pm of the training event.
No additional test time will be given for those who do not follow instructions regarding the online test site:
If, after the training ends, the attendee has problems such as opening an account in the test site (which should have been done before the training) or has problems remembering their account information, no additional time is given. MDS/RAI Advisor is not responsible for providing assistance after hours since assistance is offered and explained during the training event.
Full agenda will be provided with the training materials. This is only a partial agenda:
7:30am - Sign-In
8:00am - Class starts
12pm -1pm - Lunch break
1pm - Afternoon session starts
3:30pm - Class ends
Eval & Exam need to be passed and completed by 11:59 pm of the training day for the Certificate of Completion.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Certificate of Completion will be awarded if 70% of the examination answers are correct and attendee signed the attendance rosters for in-person events and attendance report for live stream events.
If the test score is less than 70% after the third attempt and/or if the attendee's signature is missing in the attendance roster or attendee had attended less than 6 hours, the Certificate of Completion will not be awarded.
In-Person Events: The official hard copy of the certificate will be distributed at the end of the training, if the test and eval were completed at the event site by 4pm or will be mailed within 7 days of the training event for live stream events.
Live Stream Events: Digital copy of the Certificate of Completion with contact hours will be emailed the next business day and the hard copy with contact hours will be mailed within 7 days. (An automatic Certificate of Completion may generate after the test is passed online but may not include the contact hours.)
Attention licensed nurses: Completion of the course eval, passing the test and having at least 6 hours of class attendance are required to attain 6 continuing education contact hours.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CONTACT HOURS:
For this MDS Refresher Course (a refresher of the MDS 3.0 Training event), six (6) continuing education contact hours will be awarded to attendees who pass the examination by 11:59 pm of the training if record shows signature of attendance. Lunch and break times are not included because the training is not going on during those times. Full or partial continuing education contact hours cannot be awarded for attendees leaving early.
Note: MDS/RAI Advisor is a provider approved by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, Provider Number V10855 and California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider CEP Number 16627 for 13 contact hours. (To verify the course approval with the appropriate Board of Nursing, click on links.) Since this MDS-related course is an update, the contact hours has been adjusted.
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICIES:
Cancellations must be in writing- email or by postal mail received by MDS/RAI ADVISOR.
ALL cancellations are subject to an administrative processing cancellation fee of $50.
MDS/RAI Advisor will honor cancellations 3 days prior the live stream event and 10 days prior the in-person event.
Because we are mailing the materials to online live stream events and will not be able to retrieve them, we will process the refund minus the cost of the manual and other training materials ($250) sent to you with the applicable administrative processing cancellation fee ($50).
Once your notification of cancellation is received, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your notification of cancellation. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your request for a refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within 14 days.
Refunds will be processed with the applicable administrative processing cancellation fee and minus the training materials cost if the following conditions apply:
1) Cancellations (in writing) 3 days prior the online event or 10 days prior the in-person event. For example: If the online event is on August 25, 2023, then the attendee would need to cancel by 11:59pm of August 21, 2023. If the in-person event is on September 29, 2023, then the attendee would need to cancel by 11:59pm of September 18, 2023.
2) Cancellations after the cancellation deadline (see number 1) with proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee provided to MDS/RAI ADVISOR. Proof provided after the training event is not eligible for a refund. Important note: If notification of proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee is provided before the actual training event, attendee has the option of transferring to next training date equivalent to the same type of course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and is transferable only one time within 3 months.
Refunds not applicable for the following conditions:
1) All cancellations on and after 12 am (Pacific) of the 3rd day prior the online event or of the 10th day prior the in-person event. Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
2) "No Shows". Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
3) Proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee provided to MDS/RAI ADVISOR after training event is not eligible for a refund. Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
4) Transferring seats after the allowable cancellation deadline means the attendee has notified MDS/RAI Advisor of not being able to attend the originally scheduled course after the cancellation deadline. In such a case, the attendee cannot be refunded if they cancel the next session they have chosen to transfer their seat.
Seats are transferable for the following conditions:
1) Seats are transferable only if request is made by 5pm of the day before the training event- only for same equivalent course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and one time only within 3 months.
2) If notification of proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee is provided before the actual training event, attendee has the option of transferring to next training date equivalent to the same type of course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and is transferable only one time within 3 months.
3) Another person can substitute your spot in the class if we are notified by email by 5pm of the day before the event, one time only.
Transferring seats after the allowable cancellation deadline means the attendee has notified MDS/RAI Advisor of not being able to attend the originally scheduled course after the cancellation deadline. In such a case, the attendee cannot be refunded if they cancel the next session they have chosen to transfer their seat.
In an event that MDS/RAI ADVISOR cancels:
In an event that MDS/RAI ADVISOR cancels due to an extreme emergency, full refund of the course will be provided and attendee will be notified by phone and/or email as early as possible. MDS/RAI ADVISOR has the right to refuse service if attendee is disruptive and/or at anytime, if safety issues are of concern. MDS/RAI ADVISOR is not responsible for any charges incurred by attendee.
LOST CERTIFICATE OR NEED A REPLACEMENT?
Request for replacement certificate can be emailed to email@example.com with attendee's name, training date and phone number. Once verified via the "Sign-In Sheet" that you have attended the training, an invoice will be emailed back to you for $20 service fee. The invoice has a "Pay Now" button for instant credit card payment. A digital copy of the Certificate of Completion will be emailed to you within 72 hours of receipt of payment. Only digital copies can be provided. No refunds will be provided due to digital format is being sent via email. Correction request of information that was provided during registration after the Certificate of Completion has been mailed or printed is a request for replacement. See Terms and Conditions for full details.