MDS 3.0 REFRESHER
An MDS 3.0 Training of the Upcoming
RAI Manual Version 1.18.11
September 29, 2023, 8am-3:30pm
Marriott Residence Inn Los Angeles Burbank/Downtown
321 Ikea Way
Burbank, California 91502
RAI Manual version 1.18.11, CE contact hours for LVNs and RNs.
This is not a full MDS 3.0 Training. This is not a PDPM Training.
Consider the full MDS training if you are not aware of the MDS manual version 1.17.1 or changes as of October 2019.
Any member of the MDS-involved team with some knowledge of or experience with the current MDS version from a Skilled Nursing Facility, Nursing Facility, Long Term Care Facility and Swing Bed Facility staff: MDS Coordinator, MDS Nurse, MDS Assistant, Registered Nurses, Licensed Vocational Nurses, Nurse Assessment Coordinators, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, Social Workers, Dietitians, Administrators, Directors of Nursing, Health Information Professionals and any members of the Interdisciplinary Team involved in assessment and care planning. MDS consultants, Dept. of Health Evaluators, MDS auditors, MDS specialists, MDS experts are also welcome.
The purpose of the MDS 3.0 Refresher course is to update the clinician's knowledge of the clinical assessments used in the accurate completion of the MDS assessments by providing the latest revisions of regulations released by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services surrounding the RAI/MDS process.
This MDS Refresher covers the final MDS changes in the RAI manual version 1.18.11 effective October 01, 2023.
Certificate of Completion with 6 continuing education contact hours for LVNs & RNs are distributed after passing a test via email the next business day and a hard copy mailed within 7 days. Attention licensed nurses: Eval, test and class attendance (70%) are required to attain 6 continuing education contact hour.
Provider approved by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, Provider Number V10855 and by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider CEP Number 16627 for 6 contact hours.
Upon completion of the course, the attendee will be able to:
1. Identify at least 3 sections with new MDS items in the new MDS version.
2. State the change in data collection of the Resident Mood Interview.
3. Name the items collected regarding the resident medication list during discharge.
4. Identify which Section GG Self Care and Mobility items are needed for each MDS assessments.
5. State the newly specified items listed as Special Treatments, Procedures and Programs in Section O0100.
1) No videotaping allowed.
2) It is the attendee’s responsibility to notify the instructor in advance of a need for accommodation of a disability.
3) Disruptive and inappropriate behavior comments or actions towards another attendee or instructor are not permitted while course is in session. Be polite and respectful toward others.
Anyone not in accordance to the class policy will not be allowed to enter or continue the course as we strive to provide the best possible training accommodations. The attendee will automatically be banned.
Due to the ever changing health guidelines & community restrictions, course materials may not be produced by our local vendors on time. Manuals and other training materials will be mailed starting approximately 3 weeks before the live stream event. (At the latest, 7 days before the event, if materials are still available). Therefore, registration closes 7 days before the event date, if materials are still available.
1. The printed RAI manual* (and other printed training materials, if applicable) will be mailed via Priority Mail or similar alternate delivery service. A tracking number will be emailed once available and can be tracked in www.usps.com (or an alternate mailing service). MDS/RAI Advisor is not responsible for a package replacement if the USPS (or alternate mailing service) returns that package to us after the exact address used on the package was the same address provided during registration (i.e., the mailing address provided is incorrect, valid or not) or if the recipient is not available to sign for the package upon delivery causing the package to be returned to MDS/RAI Advisor.
2. Digital copies of the training materials will be sent by mail in a flash drive or by email before the training session:
If by mail: The flash drive is provided for the attendee's own use, at the attendee's own leisure. Therefore, attendees are instructed to check the flash drive to make sure it works upon receipt. Replacement of the files will be made available only if supply is still available before the training event. We do not send replacements of the flash drives as it can easily get corrupted, i.e., if ejected the wrong way. Some facilities restrict computer use of certain websites or other computer hardware to prevent employees gambling online or to prevent malware; therefore, you should know that the flash drive may not work with your work computers. (At this point, you need to think of other alternatives because we do not know who you are and what you own.)
If by email: This option is available only if there is no flash drive in stock or if the flash drive received by the attendee did not have files or the attendee was unable to open the files after arrival in the mail and after being checked using different devices. The attendee's email provided during registration will be sent the digital copies that would have been in the flash drive. This option is not available during and after the training event because the attendee would have and should have checked the flash drive beforehand as instructed.
3. Slides will be emailed as a pdf file during the week of the event. It is up to the attendee to print their own copy the way they want their slides printed.
This is an in-person event, so remember these pointers:
Do not forget to bring the materials mailed to you.
If using a device during the in-person sessions, it is your responsibility to download and test any file (such as the slides pdf file or the RAI manual digital file) on your device (ie, ipad, iphone, laptop) before coming to the training event. We cannot assist you with opening your files during the training.
Bring your own charger. Charging ports will be made available in the training room.
Training materials will not be available as digital format during the in-person event.
* The printed RAI manual may not include the appendices. To lessen paper waste and keep the course fee as low as possible, the printed RAI manual includes all 6 chapters except the appendices. The digital copy of the RAI manual includes the appendices which is provided to the attendee (in the flash drive or emailed)
COURSE EVALUATIONS & EXAMINATION:
An invitation to take the test in CertCentral, an online testing site hosting MDS/RAI Advisor's courses & examinations, will be provided the week of the event.
The online course evaluation and examination will need to be completed (passed within 3 attempts) by 11:59pm of the training event.
No additional test time will be given for those who do not follow instructions regarding the online test site CertCentral:
If, after the training ends, the attendee has problems such as opening an account in CertCentral (which should have been done before the training) or has problems remembering their account information in CertCentral, no additional time is given. MDS/RAI Advisor is not responsible for providing assistance after hours since assistance is offered and explained multiple times during the training event.
This is a partial agenda only. Full agenda will be mailed.
7:30am - Sign-In
8:00am - Class starts
12pm -1pm - Lunch break
1pm - Afternoon session starts
3:30pm - Class ends
Eval & Exam need to be completed by 11:59 pm of the training day.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION:
Certificate of Completion will be awarded if 70% of the examination answers are correct and attendee signed the attendance rosters.
If the test score is less than 70% after the third attempt and/or if the attendee's signature is missing in the attendance roster, the Certificate of Completion will not be awarded.
The official hard copy of the certificate will be distributed at the end of the training, if the test and eval were completed at the event site by 4pm or will be mailed within 7 days of the training event.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CONTACT HOURS:
For this MDS 3.0 Training event, six (6) continuing education contact hours will be awarded to attendees who pass the examination by 11:59 pm of the training if record shows signature of attendance. Lunch and break times are not included because the training is not going on during those times. Full or partial continuing education contact hours cannot be awarded for attendees leaving early.
Note: MDS/RAI Advisor is a provider approved by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians, Provider Number V10855 and California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider CEP Number 16627 for 13 contact hours. (To verify the course approval with the appropriate Board of Nursing, click on links.)
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICIES:
MDS/RAI Advisor will honor cancellations up to 10 days before the event. Because we are mailing the materials and will not be able to retrieve them, we will process the refund minus the cost of the manual and other training materials ($150) sent to you with the applicable administrative processing cancellation fee ($40).
Cancellations must be in writing- email or by postal mail received by MDS/RAI ADVISOR.
ALL cancellations are subject to an administrative processing cancellation fee.
Once your notification of cancellation is received, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your notification of cancellation. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your request for a refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within 14 days.
Refunds will be processed with the applicable administrative processing cancellation fee and minus the training materials cost if the following conditions apply:
1) Cancellations (in writing) prior to the 10th day of the event at the latest. For example: If the event is on August 22, 2023, then the attendee would need to cancel by 11:59am of August 11, 2023.
2) Cancellations after the cancellation deadline (see number 1) with proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee provided to MDS/RAI ADVISOR. Proof provided after the training event is not eligible for a refund. Important note: If notification of proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee is provided before the actual training event, attendee has the option of transferring to next training date equivalent to the same type of course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and is transferable only one time within 3 months.
Refunds not applicable for the following conditions:
1) All cancellations on and after 12 am (Pacific) of the 10th day prior the event. Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
2) "No Shows". Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
3) Proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee provided to MDS/RAI ADVISOR after training event is not eligible for a refund. Attendee will be responsible for full registration fee and forfeits all class materials and seats are no longer transferable.
Seats are transferable for the following conditions:
1) Seats are transferable only if request is made by 5pm of the day before the training event- only for same equivalent course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and one time only within 3 months.
2) If notification of proof of survey or proof of emergency/hospitalization of attendee is provided before the actual training event, attendee has the option of transferring to next training date equivalent to the same type of course, depending on seat availability, if the course is available and is transferable only one time within 3 months.
3) Another person can substitute your spot in the class if we are notified by email by 5pm of the day before the event, one time only.
In an event that MDS/RAI ADVISOR cancels:
In an event that MDS/RAI ADVISOR cancels due to an extreme emergency, full refund of the course will be provided and attendee will be notified by phone and/or email as early as possible. MDS/RAI ADVISOR has the right to refuse service if attendee is disruptive and/or at anytime, if safety issues are of concern. MDS/RAI ADVISOR is not responsible for any charges incurred by attendee.
Other types of cancellations such as bounced checks, please read Cancellation and Refund Policies page.
LOST CERTIFICATE OR NEED A REPLACEMENT?
Request for replacement certificate can be emailed to email@example.com with attendee's name, training date and phone number. Once verified via the "Sign-In Sheet" that you have attended the training, an invoice will be emailed back to you for $20 service fee. The invoice has a "Pay Now" button for instant credit card payment. A digital copy of the Certificate of Completion will be emailed to you within 72 hours of receipt of payment. Only digital copies can be provided. No refunds will be provided due to digital format is being sent via email. Correction request of information that was provided during registration after the Certificate of Completion has been mailed or printed is a request for replacement. See Terms and Conditions for full details.